This multi-unit Mega Warehousing (large scale 24/7/365 operations) project is being proposed in a Light Industrial (LI) zoned property. Unlike any other LI zoned property in Harford County, the Mitchell Property is surrounded by residential properties supported by a single rural residential road. A significant majority* of Harford County mega warehouses are on General Industrial (GI).
Major Areas of Concern
- Mega Warehousing is inappropriate in Light Industrial (LI) zone
- The intended use of LI for “light” industrial activities was not for 24/7/365 distribution centers
- Distribution access through exclusive residential road infrastructure is incompatible with LI restrictions
- Mitchell Property zoning as LI
- The LI designation of the Mitchell farmland is inappropriate given the infrastructure, historical significance, and environmental sensitivity of the land and the surrounding community
- Counter to the Harford Next vision
If the Mega Warehouse Development cannot be prevented, then the following actions are recommended:
- Adequately identify and define use classifications and permitted uses so they meet the new development plans they are intended to manage.
- Review the application of use classifications and permitted uses in some zoning districts that have not been applied correctly.
Warehouse and Demographic Data Analysis
January 15, 2022
Enterprise Zones – Do they Work?
March 1, 2022